Saturday, April 20, 2013

R is for The Right to Write


Hi Everyone,



I hope you are all enjoying the A to Z Challenge as much as I am. Today’s theme is a little self-serving, but I believe it’s well deserved.

I have been a stay-at-home mom for years, since my first child was born. I have to tell you up front, the decision I made to give up my career wasn’t an easy one. I was raised in a household where education was the priority. We were all taught from an early age that a good education led to a successful career. I don’t know how many times I heard my father say, “Get your college education so you can be the boss.”

Giving up all I had worked for to become a full-time mom didn’t just go against the feminist movement so part of the era, but it went against how I was raised. Two of my sibling had already earned their PhD’s-- before I even earned my bachelor’s degree--- and they were making a name for themselves in their chosen fields.  

As I held my first-born, miracle child in my arms, I just couldn’t leave him for hours a day while I persuaded my career. It didn’t take long for me to settle into my new role and enjoy it immensely.  As I look back on those days, I can honestly say I was a great mom and that decision will go down in my mind as the best decision I ever made. Well, maybe it ties with my insightful wisdom to marry their father. Both of my kids have grown to be amazing adults and I couldn’t be prouder of them.

But like the 1980’s Diana Ross song, It’s My Turn, it is finally my turn to be a little selfish with my time. I want to see where my new writing career will take me.  In order to do that, I must devote my energy to writing.

I’m not a fast writer. While I write every day, I don’t have amazing word counts of over 5000 words a day like a lot of my writing buddies. Instead, I write slow, assessing what I wrote the day before, remove a little, and add a little more until the scene is just right. Some chapters can take over a week to write because something just isn’t right. I’m can’t move on to the next chapter until all the previous chapters flow well; hit the right cord of suspense and romance.

Right now, I live in the world of my wonderful McNeil brothers. As law enforcement officers, their lives constantly intersect with the worst that mankind has to offer. While each brother feels his world is too dangerous to share with that one special woman, fate butts in and gives that extra push. They fall hard and it changes their understanding of the world.

When I finish writing this series, I will move on to something else.  I will still take great care of my loving family because they mean the world to me. But this is my time and I demand my time to write.

I'll leave you with a little music from Diana Ross. I hope it inspires you to take the time when you are ready to go after your dream. 

Enjoy.



((HUGS TO ALL))

Nancy C. Weeks
Author of In the Shadow of Greed
Release date: 29 April 2013
Pre-order today on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Greed-Crimson-Romance-ebook/dp/B00CA9DEYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366476083&sr=8-1&keywords=in+the+shadow+of+greed

2 comments :

  1. Nancy, I am so happy and proud of you! I wish you much success in every area of your life! As we talked about before, I also have a passion for and enjoy writing. It is one of many dreams I hope and pray to one day exercise on a regular basis! I truly believe that as long as you still have breath in your body, it is never to late for anything!

    Being a parent is never ending, but is truly rewarding and honestly one of the best experiences in a person's life. But with that said....at some point, it is okay for us parents to be a little selfish...we've earned it!:o)

    Again, the best to you and keep up the good work! Matilda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Enjoy your "Me" time! I'm sure your family is supportive and very proud.
    Connie
    A to Z-ing to the end
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete