Friday, April 5, 2013

E IS FOR EVERYONE LOVES A GREAT BOWL OF PASTA.



Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for stopping by today. I have to admit….I had a little trouble with the letter E. I just couldn’t think of what to write about. I even went on dictionary.com [my favorite all time site because I can’t spell worth beans] and looked up E words. But nothing jumped out at me.

So, I called my sweet daughter. Her response: “Mom, you’re tiring to hard. What’s wrong with just E for everyone loves a great bowl of pasta? I love your spaghetti sauce, my friends love your spaghetti sauce…everyone loves your spaghetti sauce.”

I bet you can you guess what today’s post is going to be. The recipe below really is my most requested recipe. It took a long time to figure out how to make a good sauce. My mom always bought jar sauces. I didn’t blame her. We were a huge family, seven kids and someone was always living with us. And sadly, we aren't Italian. But over the years, after reading several good Italian cookbooks, this is what I came up with. Since I’m basically lazy and always rushing, it’s a very easy recipe. I hope you try it and it becomes a favorite with your family too.



((Hugs to all))
Nancy C. Weeks
Author of In the Shadow of Greed
Release date: 29 April 2013


Nancy’s Favorite Spaghetti Sauce with Garlic Bread 
(Busy day recipe). 
Note: You can sauté all kinds of left over vegetables in the sauce to use them up if you want. My sister, Elizabeth, always sautés three different color peppers, broccoli, and squash in her sauce.  She blends it all together so no one knows all those great veggies are in the sauce. I blend it up too even though I love chunky sauce because my family is silly. But, it’s delicious either way!)

1lb hamburger (I usually use a pound of beef and a pound of turkey and freeze left-over sauce.)
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
1 16 oz can chopped tomato
1 onion, chopped
1-2 garlic clove, chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon dried basil [use fresh basil if you have it.]
½ teaspoon oregano
½ cup red wine (any wine you like will work)
Salt and pepper


Ground beef in a large skillet.  While cooking, heat water to cook pasta in another pot.  Saute onion and garlic with beef until tender.  Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.  The alcohol in the wine will simmer away leaving only favor.  Simmer about 15-20 minutes.  Serve over pasta.
I serve this with a nice loaf of garlic bread.

My Garlic Bread---so easy and so good. 

Bring a stick of butter to room temperature until it’s soft. Add butter to a bowl and mix with a teaspoon of fresh garlic, parsley, basil—whatever herbs you have around.  Dried herbs work well too if you don’t have fresh. Add about a half of cup--- or as much as you want--- of grated Parmesan cheese. Cut the loaf down the middle lengthwise and spread the butter evenly on both sides. Wrap it in aluminum foil and place it in the over while your pasta water is coming to a boil.

If you try this recipe, please come back and let me know what you thought of it. 

6 comments :

  1. I could eat spaghetti and meat sauce every day I think.

    I love all sorts of food, but to me it is the ultimate comfort food.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side and The Witch
    Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim,
      Welcome to my blog. I feel the same. I crave this recipe. LOL. It's great for breakfast...just saying. Let me know what you think of it and drop in anytime.

      Delete
  2. Sounds super yummy- glad to day is the day I'm planning my grocery list. Looks like spaghetti for next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie,
    So glad you dropped by. Let me know what you think. BTW, that is the cutest baby in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe E is for Effort. Sometimes realising your dreams takes a tremendous amount of effort. Or sometimes it can be done effortlessly when you're in the zone ;) Anyway, I love me some pasta! XNaomi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, you wrote that you received encouragement (in D). That's another E. lol. It helps to surround yourself with people who will offer this, who will encourage you. :) Great post! XNaomi

    ReplyDelete