Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I IS FOR IN THE SHADOW OF GREED BY NANCY C. WEEKS



Happy Wednesday, Everyone,
I’m going to apologize up front for this self-promotion post, but I just couldn’t help myself.  Today’s letter is I, and with my debut novel coming out in 19 days, I just had to make:  I is for IN THE SHADOW OF GREED.


But this post isn’t just about my new book, but about the excitement of crossing another bridge in my dream of becoming a published author.
What bridge did I just cross you ask? Well, I just found out that IN THE SHADOW OF GREED is on Amazon for pre-order. AHHHHHH! I want to shriek like a little girl I’m so excited. This is really happening!
Ever since I received the offer from Crimson Romance in early February, my life has been one crazy, panic moment after another. But even through the editing processes [I now understand why my writer friends say they are in editing hell] and promotion, and everything in between, it never really seemed real until now.
I began writing three years ago on a challenge from my sister. This was something I only dreamed about doing. I never believed I was capable of finishing a novel. Even after finishing the second novel, I never believe I could get it published. The hours, days, weeks I spent researching the publishing world made me understand that there was so much I still needed to learn before I could ever consider sending out my manuscripts. So I began signing up for one workshop after another, sometimes three in one month. I would then dig back into my manuscript and revise, revise, revise―still not believing it would ever see the light of day in the publishing world.
But one very cold day in February, Crimson Romance changed all that. Jennifer Lawler decided to take a chance on me and put this amazing publisher company behind my work. And now that I can actually see my book up on Amazon for pre-order, I can’t decide whether to laugh out loud from absolute glee or have a long, happy cry.
Here is what I learned about dreaming at fifty-four-years young. It’s never too late to dream and dream big. If you want something bad enough, you must be willing to put in the extra hard, grueling work to make it happen. Nothing in life is easy, but in the end, it’s all worth it. Some would say that this is only the beginning, but for me, this moment—right now—is my dream.
I have posted my first EVER excerpt below. I wanted to introduce you to my hero, Jason McNeil, my heroine, Dr. Sarah Tu and her sister, Hanna. This is such a tiny little tease, but I hope you like enough to hit the Amazon link below and pre-order your own copy of IN THE SHADOW OF GREED.
((HUGS TO ALL))
Nancy C. Weeks
Author of In the Shadow of Greed
Release date: 29 April 2013

Excerpt for In the Shadow of Greed
He thinks I’m dead. Sarah’s coming. Help her!
The voice quivered inside Jason’s head. He pushed away from the pillar and froze. No one was there. His gaze fell back to the woman in the bed. His eyes narrowed and he clenched his jaw, biting down so hard, pain shot up his inner ear.
The next instant, a petite woman with long, straight, raven hair and the most beautiful, hazel eyes he had ever seen charged through the trauma unit. A security officer followed close behind and grabbed her arm, stopping her from moving any farther into the restricted area.
Jason stared at the woman in the bed and back to the woman by the door. He knew, without a doubt, her name was Sarah. His mind raced for an explanation.
“Ma’am, you can’t be back here.” The guard tried to pull Sarah back through the doors.
Sarah yanked out of his hold. The expression on her face was intense, unyielding. “Like hell I can’t. My sister is here. She needs me.”
The charge nurse moved from behind a counter of the nurse’s station and stood next to the security officer. “How can I help you?”
The nurse’s low, gentle voice seemed to have a soothing effect on Sarah. “Hanna Tu.” Her voice shuddered.
Jason couldn’t take his eyes off Hanna’s sister. In an instant, she transformed from a stiletto wearing, ice-dragon on the war path—just the kind of woman he disliked—into a frightened, desperate woman whose vulnerabilities brought out his protective instinct.
As her eyes wildly searched the trauma unit, the nurse reached for Sarah’s arm and guided her toward the doors.
“We’re still assessing your sister’s condition. I’ll have one of the doctors come talk to you in the waiting room as soon as they can. She’s in good hands, I promise you.”
 “I need to see her. I need to know she’s okay. The police wouldn’t allow me into her apartment. No one has told me anything. There was so much blood.” She sucked in a deep breath as tears clouded her eyes. “Please let me see her for a moment.”
Her eyes narrowed on the cubicle surrounded by a curtain. One of the nurses moved the fabric aside and left carrying a tray of vials. Sarah’s gaze fell on her sister. “Oh God! Hanna!”
She took a step toward her sister, but her body began to tremble and her knees buckled. Jason rushed forward and caught her as her body collapsed. With one arm wrapped around her waist, he used his other hand to lift the badge that hung around his neck and flashed it at the nurse. “She’s with me.”
He then found an empty chair away from a direct view of the cubicle and lowered Sarah into it. He knelt, keeping his arm around her. Her body shook violently and she gasped for air. The charge nurse brought over a cup of water and handed it to Jason. He brought it to Sarah’s lips.
“Drink, Sarah, it will help.”
She sipped the water and closed her eyes, taking in several deep breaths. “W-who hurt her? W-why?”
“We don’t know, but we’ll find out. He’ll pay for this.”
Sarah finally glanced up at him and pulled away. “Who are you?”
And the ice-dragon’s back. Jason clenched his jaw to keep a smile from spreading across his face. He couldn’t put his finger on the why, but this woman intrigued him. “Detective Jason McNeil.”
“Why are you here and not out finding the person who hurt my sister?”
Don’t let her push you away. She needs you, we need you.
Jason was taken aback by the weak, small voice in his head. What the hell was going on? Finding his voice, he said, “Someone tried to kill your sister.” He glanced toward Hanna’s cubicle. A crushing anger boiled up from deep within his gut. “The guy who attacked her has killed at least three other times we know about and he didn’t mean to leave Hanna alive. I’m not giving him a chance to finish the job.”
Oh God, he’s here… He’s here! Don’t let him near Sarah! 

And here is the link. I hope you love it as much as I loved writing it. I would love for you to ‘like’ my author page too.

In the Shadow of Greed by Nancy C. Weeks

15 comments :

  1. And it only gets better, Nancy! I related to your post so much, about actually reaching your dream and how amazing that feels. I'm so happy for you. XNaomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi,
      Thanks so much for you encouraging words. I'm going to hold onto them. xxoo

      Delete
  2. Sooooooo excited for you! Doin' the happy dance! Congratulations, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Pam!
      That is such a sweet thing to say. Thanks so much for the happy dance and dropping by for a visit. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. I loved reading about your excitement at seeing your book on Amazon! :) It's an amazing, wonderful, surreal feeling, so enjoy every single moment of it! I can't wait to read your reaction on your launch day!

    And you keep posting about your book and your characters all you want. It's always wonderful to hear about them from the author who knows them best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Juli!
      I sometimes worry that 'the book' is all I talk about. But it is an exciting, surreal moment, and I really am totally thrilled to be on this ride. I'm hopping over to your blog now. Sorry I missed you the last couple days. Can't wait to get caught up.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Ahhhh, thanks Jeff! I promise as soon as I see the book, I'll let you know which pages you can skip. Please give Ann a big hug from me.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful advice for the dreamer in all of us. Wishing you every success with your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, M.J. I really appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A huge congrats to you!!! Very exciting!
    (minus the typo, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Lynda,
      I can't type my name without back spacing and typing it again. Thanks so much for dropping by.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! There's nothing like seeing it up there on Amazon to bring it all home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie,
      Boy is that the truth. Now I just have to get use to the idea of folks [that don't love me] reading my novel. LOL. So glad you dropped by.

      Delete