Saturday, April 4, 2015

OVERCOMING DOUBT AND KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE



Hi Everyone,

If you have been reading this blog, you are well aware who the doubt monster is. It’s that little voice in the back of our heads that keep us from believing in ourselves. 

My doubt monster has been loud and active most of my life. I think the first memory of the power it held over me was in second grade. My parents recognize how much I struggled with reading and comprehension. Instead of placing me in a position where I could spend the next level fighting to keep up, they held me back. Being the only kid in my class that had to repeat the second grade turned that little tiny voice of uncertainty into an ugly monster of doubt that yelled in my head daily that I was stupid, not good enough-- bah bah bah. Today, I know that decision was made out of love and great parenting. I didn’t feel like that at the time.

If there is a magic cure for ripping the doubt monster out of our lives and keeping our dream alive, this is it. 

Doubt only has power over me if I give it power.

Positive thinking is my greatest weapon. I have to believe in myself and in my dreams. So when it lurks into the edges of my self-conscious, I take a deep breath, shake the negative thought from my head, and blow right through it. That is how I finished my first novel, then the second, third---. And my reward for keeping my doubt monster at bay is an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and contentment.

So here is my challenge for today. I challenge all of you to start believing in yourself and take back your power. Get out of your own way. And remember, this isn’t something you do once and it’s gone forever. Shutting up the doubt monster will be something we will all have to work on every day, even every hour. But the one thing I do know, taking back control is very worth it. 


((Hugs to all))

Nancy C. Weeks

COMMENTS WELCOME

1 comment :

  1. Great challenge for all of us! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete