Friday, April 3, 2015

C IS FOR CHOCOLATE CAKE



Hi All,

Today’s C topic is …CHOCOLATE CAKE because what other C word could possibly be better.

I have shared this recipe a couple years ago, but it's so good, I have to post it again. Earlier this year, I mentioned I would post signs of the beauty around us, things that just make us smile. 



Are you smiling? 

This recipe just plain make me happy. It's the easiest, moistest, best tasting chocolate cake recipe I have ever baked and has become a favorite in my home. It takes about fifteen minutes to mix up the batter and have it in the oven. That includes the time it takes to get everything out.  The icing is to die for and it takes five minutes.

This is one of those cakes that you can’t ruin. Just dump everything together, mix and bake. You use the batter for cupcakes, sheet cake, round layers or just in a rectangular 91/2 x 11 pyrex pan. Another delightful feature, I have baked this cake in small round tins [like the size on the top layer of a wedding cake], frosted it and set it in the freezer overnight. I then put it in a flat rate mailing box and ship it across the country to my sisters, college kids, whoever needs a little sunshine chocolate to brighten their day. It arrives in a couple days and is still very tasty. One of my tricks: wrap it frozen very tightly in a couple layers of plastic wrap. It keeps it moist, and the icing, which hardens like fudge, stays on the cake.

If you decide to try this recipe, please drop back in and let me know what you think. 

That's it for today. I hope you have a great Friday and be nice to one another.

Hugs to all,

Nancy C. Weeks

Nancy’s Everyday Chocolate Cake


2 C sugar

½ C butter room temperature (one stick)

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1 C milk--sour and buttermilk is great too

½ C cocoa powder or 4 squares of unsweetened chocolate

2½ C flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 C very hot water--boiling works best


Melt chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute.  In a mixing bowl, mix butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Add chocolate slowly.  Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, alternating with milk.  Mix well for about 2 minutes.  Slowly add the hot water.  This batter will be very runny.  Mix until well blended.  Pour into a buttered 13x9-inch baking pan or 2 round cake pans. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.  Cool before frosting if you have time.  It is wonderful warm too.


The Most Wonderful Chocolate Frosting in the World (takes all of 5 minutes)


Special note: Make extra. Spoons love this stuff. :)

Bring to a soft boil or until everything blended:

1 stick of butter

4 Tbs. cocoa or 2 squares of unsweetened chocolate

¼ C of milk


Pour over 1 pound of powdered sugar.  Mix well and pour over cake.  The cake can be served warm. Once cooled, the frosting will harden like fudge. So good!

COMMENTS WELCOMED!!

4 comments :

  1. Nancy... my C was for Chocolate! :) Great post and lovely looking cake! Life Diet Health (A-Z 674 atow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That means that two great minds think alike. Thanks so much for stopping by today for a visit. I heading over for a quick visit to see what kind of chocolate wonders you have created. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds lovely and easy.
    I think I'll try it.

    J.L. Campbell - A-Z Co-Host | The Character Depot

    ReplyDelete
  4. C is for Chocolate, anything and everything with chocolate is heaven on earth!!! i cud drown myself in chocolate and wud never get bored! :P thank you for the recipe i shall try and get back to you with the outcome! ;)

    ReplyDelete