Friday, April 20, 2018

THE PROTECTOR QUEST: WRITING THE NEXT NOVEL

"Nothing worth doing comes easy." 

Happy Friday, Everyone!
I'm beginning a blog series, The Protector Quest. What the heck is that? Well, The Protector is the title of my ninth novel. Each new post will be presented in chapter form--because I'm a writer and I love getting through one chapter and going on to the next. This series is a bird's eye view of what I put myself through with each new novel. So lets get to it! 


Chapter One--The Beginning

I have nothing!


Well...that's not exactly true. I have an amazing title that the members of my wonderful Facebook group, Nancy's Corner, helped me select. The image above depicts the road I have ahead of me. It's that disorganized, unpredictable, and at times, so disheartening. AND...I constantly hear my sweet, wise mom's voice in my head. 

Nothing worth doing comes easy." 

I'm not overstating when I say I have nothing planned for The Protector.  This is how every new novel of mine begins. While I have a soft foundation for my hero, Nathan D'Azzo, Emersyn and Tessa's older brother, that's where things get sticky. I haven't a clue what comes next at this point.

You met Nathan for the first time in chapter two of The Eyewitness, and he has a much bigger role in The Analyst. The Protector will be the third book in my The D'Azzo Family series. Here is what it looks like: 
The Eyewitness--starring Emersyn D'Azzo and Alec Pearce
The Analyst-- starring Tessa D'Azzo and Eric Logan
[More to come about The Analyst below.] 
The Protector--starring Nathan D'Azzo and ???

Another truth: I know that The Protector is Nathan's journey, and that the man I introduce you to in the first sentence will not be the same man on the last page. I don't know how Nathan will change, but if I do my job, he will have envolved in ways I can't even imagine today. That is the magic of writing, the reason I love what I do so much.

So.... no name for my heroine. I'm thinking about Olivia, again, a name suggested from Nancy's Corner. It is beginning to fit the image I have of her in my head. What I can give you is by the end of chapter one, Nathan will put up every shield he built over the years and protect himself against her. 

But this is a romantic suspense with an HEA, right? 

I'll get there somehow. Next post, I hope to get your help choosing what she looks like---and what Nathan looks like, the inspiration I will use to create two amazingly strong characters. I know my villain, and they are going to need all the help they can get. 

This is your front row seat on my quest, writing of The Protector. I hope you will stick around and invite your friends too. As you can see, I have a lot of work to do. I want this book done by October. 

Unsettling News: The Analyst

I know you have been waiting patiently for  book 2, The Analyst. A month ago, out of the blue, Simon & Schuster closed the doors to my publisher, Crimson Romance, effective immediately. This came as a shock to everyone. I signed a contract on Friday three days before, and was so excited to announce it to you. Monday afternoon, The Analyst's contract, gone. All my books are still being sold by S&S, but I'm looking for another home for The D'Azzo Family series. Until I find it, I'm going to do something positive, write the next book.  I hope you will all be a little patient with me as I figure this out. It's time to take a deep breath and allow the dust to settle. I love what I do, and I love living my dream--even after this last month. 

That's it for today. Next week, I have invited the wonderful Bethany-Kris to sit down for an author interview. I'm so impressed by Bethany's confidence and drive. I can't wait for you to meet her. Until then, I hope you can take a break in your busy life and read a great book.

Hugs to all,
Nancy C. Weeks

***If you haven't heard about Nancy's Corner or joined Nancy's Newsletter, please do so today.  I would love to have a closer relationship with my readers.


2 comments :

  1. Good luck on the new project. I like the title (I'm bad at titles).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin. AND sorry for not commenting sooner. I just did see it come in. I know you are in the same boat. If there is anything I can do, please don't hesitate to ask. HUGS!

      Delete